Monday, May 12, 2008

Final Project

I had trouble at first thinking of a topic or thesis for my final project. Living in the city has definitely opened my eyes to how much people trash the environment. Whether it's working in large factories that give off toxins or littering the streets with garbage, even driving unnecessarily large cars that pollute the air, all of these actions contribute to the destruction of our world. I decided to use the deterioration of the environment as a topic for my final painting. I would start out with a true to life painting of the beautiful blues and greens of the world, but cover most of it with grays. This represents the smog and pollution, and the lack of vibrance in the world. With research, I discovered that areas such as New York, Los Angeles, Japan, and some spots in China and Europe produce a very large part of the pollution today. In my painting, these are the only parts where the color will show through, reminding these areas in the world of what they could look like if they cut down on environmental destruction. Lastly, the grays of the world on top will appear as if the paint is flaking or chipping off. This is just to reiterate the fact that the environment is deteriorating. Overall, I feel that this will be a fairly strong piece, and I'm excited for it.

No comments: