Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Value

During the discussion in class, I was thinking about my life after Corcoran. Since I'm a fine arts major, most people think I'm not going to find a job and I'm going to be a "struggling" artist after school. Some artists believe that it's all about self expression and making a difference. Yes, this is important, but supporting myself throughout my life is just as important to me. I can't see myself relying on purely my work to make money, it's too unstable and causes way too much pressure. I value the "art" side of art, but that only goes so far; the business side of art is almost just as imiportant. I would much rather have a steady job than be living paycheck to paycheck.

Art can also add value to certain things. For example, if you were selling your house and there was a hand-painted original mural in your house, most likely the value would go up, especially if the artist himself was well known and highly valued in society. Fixing something up by adding art, whether it be a certain location or a product, etc, will increase it's value. It makes it more interesting and unique, and ultimately more desirable by the people.

No comments: